At All American Healthcare we see many patients dealing with chronic stress and a depressed immune system who initially present with other symptoms such as pain.
7 classic signs of stress
- Neck/shoulder/back pain
- Digestive trouble
- Seep disturbances
- Frequent sickness
Eustress, or positive stress, can be beneficial but typically is appreciated as negative stress (distress). The American Academy of Family Physicians estimates that 60% of the conditions brought to physicians in the U.S. are stress related. Many are the result of stress while others are made worse or last longer because of it.
The relationship between chronic stress and immune system health is tremendous.
We would not be addressing the underlying causes and contributors if this were ignored. See here for an informative article on the science of chronic stress and immunity: https://choq.com/does-stress-really-affect-your-immunity-or-is-that-just-hippy-nonsense/?goal=0_2c0165fbf5-3ebabb0277-409348489&mc_cid=3ebabb0277&mc_eid=521e0e9ad9 .
Stress is defined in many different ways.
- an organism’s response to any ‘stressor’ such as an environmental condition or stimulus
- the rate of wear and tear on the body as a result of anxiety, worry or exhaustion from a difficult or challenging situation
- a difficult or intense experience which, if prolonged, could cause irritation and/or damage to a person’s nervous system
- nervous system activation that can have an impact on a person’s mental and/or physical well-being.
Stress can present itself in different forms.
- physical: deconditioning, weakness, previous injuries/traumas, sports injuries, working situations, posture, repetitive motion, genetics, etc.
- chemical/environmental: diet/nutrition, pollution, oxygen saturation, pharmacological, etc.
- emotional/psychological: depression, anxiety, fear, anger, unhappiness, shock, financial burden, job/career, relationships/family, etc.
Although immune system health is not publicized often, it is our best defense against disease. Other public health measures have been shown to help at times but ultimately fighting illness comes from our own immune systems and managing stress.
How can we help?
The team at All American Healthcare is dedicated to helping our patients live a full, healthy, pain-free life. We have two convenient locations in Covington or Hammond, Louisiana dedicated to help you create a healthier workplace environment, leading to a more efficient and productive employee. Contact us today to start designing your personalized corporate wellness program!